[Bell Historians] Great Malvern

Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK) Roderic.Bickerton at PsKTKZbqQybzYJV1waWqzzN-MO2q1gdK-9hhpNvY4jI1sDcgX7vFFyGVuJx40md-wQlVfL8kcHgGhGEeRNeqCNTkCTExwTIQ0wNM.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 10 09:48:57 GMT 2009

________________________________

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Bull
Sent: 09 March 2009 21:25
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Great Malvern

*** WARNING ***

Utter madness. I think that this "judgement" will jepardise any bell
restoration scheme that requires a frame to be replaced. If these
"conservationalists" can object to the removal of an 1887 Taylor
A-frame, then they can object to anything. Nowhere do I see a proper
case made for keeping the frame.

I regularly ring at a ten that are a real handful to ring despite having
been rehung in 1978; they are the only ring of ten in our branch. The
main cause of the problem is the flimsy, composite frame of 1899 by
Thomas Blackbourne. Presumably some moron would insist that the frame be
retained for its "historic value" if we ever raised the money for a full
rehanging.

Mediaeval frames - yes, I can understand why people would want to
preserve them. Even example of later frames - possibly, on their merits.
But a poor 19th century frame that's not unique or even vaguely
interesting? Surely this can't be right.

I've seen several examples of restoration schemes that have either cost
much more or foundered completely because of the intervention of
ill-informed "conservationalists". Staunton Harold is one example that
springs to mind - I note that these are now listed as "unringable" on
Dove despite the rehanging carried out a few years ago. Then there was
the case of the ring of six that went to the foundry twice in the space
of a year, the second time after the locals had found a loophole....

It makes me wonder what would happen if EH or one of these similar
bodies interfered with a scheme where the ringers had the resourses to
sue them in a civil court. Now that would be interesting.....

Let us hope the ringers of Great Malvern find a way out of this
nightmare before the bells become abandoned and derelict.

Andrew Bull