[Bell Historians] Early handbell ringing

Hayden Charles hcharles at -D9i-BKHQgp6yC3X3sl8gpdMQ1Faa0vlKisfRW7QsZRWtAz239-VIWGj6To8NKWtB_xvwd7HTOaK8_9vwOs.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 15 17:30:19 GMT 2009

Chris Pickford wrote on 15/03/2009 16:10:
> I think Eddie's reference is now obsolete as "the first ever". When
> going through the Leicester papers in the early 1970s for Cyril Wratten,
> I came across the following report from the /Leicester and Notingham
> Journal/  of 13 March 1777

<snip>

> Although the details are sketchy, I know of no reason to disbelieve
> these reports
>
> CP

What leads you to the conclusion that the Abingdon PB Royal was
'retained in hand' rather than lapped? Is there something about the
nature of the report which makes it different from accounts of lapped
ringing?

Hayden Charles