Chewton Mendip old six

a_m_bull a_m_bull at 6ujDcoGHdcpp0T85eLEYGoOB1V3orO2m3Gd8CmMIKffy4arPYhrCmEksuOXPurahXQEWXTvbQf5k83xu7g.yahoo.invalid
Mon May 4 22:26:36 BST 2009

Anyone know who cast the second and third of the heavy six that preceeded the present Taylor octave at Chewton Mendip? Ellacombe gives the inscriptions of the two bells as:

THOMAS LANGTON CAST WE THREE LESSER BELLS G. ADAM WARDEN 1627

and

T. PENGARD CHURCHWARDEN WIL. COVENTRY CARPENTER THO. STAR Ye PLUMER S. WASON Ye MAS 1627

I can find no mention in anything I have to hand of a founder called Thomas Langton. I have trawled through the lists of bells by various founders of the time in Chris Dalton's "Dorset" and John Scott's "Devon", but drawn a blank.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andrew Bull