Steel bell

Nick Bowden nickwbowden at jeQqQiwzGfrd4p81eKsUO6I-a4CSh54eFH5SRS14enKKdb_rWxjSWrT8VC1SxLj8lrwAMH7tOFWL6ntPj_lOZNk.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 5 12:14:31 BST 2009

Chris Pickford writes:

> I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this surprising if not incredible (to use the word in one of its older senses). It needs checking out by someone who knows what they are looking at, surely
>
> I'm reminded of the rather enjoyable letter in the RW from Christopher Dalton after a well-knwn ringer in Dorset reported the existence of an iron bell somewhere in those parts. CD, who had seen the bell, observed that "it is no more made of iron than it is of icing sugar"
>
> CP

Having just listened to a recording of Steeple Claydon bells the 2nd
certainly sounds like it could be a steel bell.

What strikes me as odd is the 4th of 1929 and treble of 1931 by M&S. Surely
they would have noticed or indeed replaced the 2nd had it been there then?
Nick