[Bell Historians] Lost bell of Peterborough

David Bryant davidbryant at 4F1r2CPg03cNYI8RWVU5b3ecG8ln1A-_iFjg6HD6Rzf066ZNmgI_t2lyqZ3CGe60c-EXCvszSwUxqgUBC2tUHymWmA.yahoo.invalid
Fri May 22 22:23:33 BST 2009

> Those of you who will remember the history of the old cathedral bells will
> be interested to read this article and what has been uncovered after 20
> years or more:

Interesting. I think the description of the largest bell as being a ton is a
bit of an over-estimate - 15cwt seems a bit more like it.

I'd imagine most on here are aware, but the three bells discussed in the
article were the front three of the old five at Peterborough Cathedral. Of
the two larger bells, the 4th became the tenor of ten (recently augmented to
12) at Withycombe Raleigh, Exmouth, and the tenor remains at Peterborough
Cathedral as a slow-swinging bourdon bell.

The bells were the surviving back five of a ten, with the front five being
sold as scrap in 1831 when the 4th (i.e. former 9th) was recast. The bells
were rehung in a Taylor composite H / A frame in (from memory) 1889. In
1986, the Taylor ten from the redundant St John the Divine, Leicester, were
transferred to Peterborough and augmented with three new trebles. The
existing frame was modified by having the tenor pit removed (the current
tenor hangs in the old 9th pit), and new pits for the trebles built using H
castings from the Leicester frame. The bourdon (old tenor) hangs in a new
lowside cast iron frame above the ring.

Despite its modification, the frame is a good example of its type and shows
the transition from A to H castings (it has both in its original design). It
is, in my opinion, a much, much better example of a Taylor frame of this era
than Great Malvern, and if frames of this type are to be selected for
preservation the Peterborough one would certainly be a contender.

The remaining castings from the Leicester frame were used in building the
frame at Towcester, and the Leicester Ellacombe apparatus and peal boards
can now be seen at St Mary de Castro in Leicester, where list member Dave
Cawley is the incumbent.