[Bell Historians] The sound of bells in 1170

David Cawley davidl.cawley at 5A-R5PdQkjeXzPo5cz9jP4l6R10bWo1POkgKDh2-B3692oeKqP_lacOSZTiCvOvKE_jDXzvKWZ7QxyaVoPXUVFmZ9g.yahoo.invalid
Thu Nov 5 18:34:24 GMT 2009

Bearing in mind the huge weight of these bells, Hazel, I would have thought that a possible way forward is a recording of the great Bells of Cologne Cathedral - largest 25 tons. I've a detailed casette tape of several combinations of these bells, including all the medieval ones, which I'd happily lend. Give me a ring (01843 290845). You can get a foretaste of it by visiting Cologne (Koln) bells on YouTube.

Cheers

DLC

----- Original Message -----
  From: hazelbasford at wcmVNN_2ksMNZuD9hypamyHtI5GL7BP_HNJq9d7yNMS2C3CbXIaL9bq_q0jpRqz630Pi8-9xEygqG0t2aETqoGs.yahoo.invalid
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:34 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] The sound of bells in 1170

  An enquiry has been passed to me via the Canterbury Cathedral website -
  -----
  I am directing a production of Murder in the Cathedral in Truro Cathedral in March 2010 following a successful production in Veryan Church this spring. I want to open with bells - I have copied the following from your website. Do you have a recording of what the bells may have sounded like in 1170?
  "Fifty years later (c. 1160) Prior Wybert added a sixth bell that required the services of no less than 32 ringers - indicative, probably, of the fact that these bells were swung by treading beams fastened horizontally to the headstock. Following the assassination of Archbishop Thomas Becket in 1170, contemporary writers record that these bells remained silent for a year, along with the general desecration of the church prior to its reconciliation by Pope Alexander III."
  -----
  So, are there any recordings of bells that might be thought to sound remotely like this?