[Bell Historians] Unusual clock chimes

David Cawley davidl.cawley at Z9wlCYjWZ25FHQcWLndSbAxP96mNLGjOqIT7E-haOV9UiHVtJFHuvi2rCzXU-0ionf3fWqN_wyNqxHy_GfPkElG99mYKcA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Nov 5 21:18:58 GMT 2009

At Glandford, Norfolk, there is a very good twelve-bell chime (Taylors 1900, 11-1-17 in G) complete with chiming clock and an impressive barrell which plays every three hours; there is a weekly selection of tunes. You can see it in action at the end of the John Betjeman film A Passion for Churches. A video is still advertised for sale on the Whitechapel website.

Re Richard's email below: the clock bells, now hanging above Great Dunstan are all the more interesting as they are nos 4-8 of the "characterful" old twelve which preceded the present ring in the SW tower. On GD's place among good-sounding 18th-century bells: one has to remember that the bell is by no means as cast - indeed some 6-cwt lighter after the very successful tuning had been completed. I would put my money on the Lester & Pack front 11 at Mancroft, never tuned by anyone after being supplied to the church. When Taylors rehung them in 1925 they neither suggested nor undertook any tuning to these bells, only to the T Mears II tenor.

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Offen
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 12:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Unusual clock chimes

    The clock chime at Canterbury Cathedral, which is based on the 8th Gregorian Chant and was composed in 1899 by the Cathedral's Precentor, Canon F.J.O. Helmore (who was also a very fine ringers by all accounts) to commemorate the 1,300th (if memory serves me correct) anniversary of St Augustine landing in Kent.   The whole chime is topped off by the magnificent sound of Great Dunstan - probably the best sounding 18th century bell in Britain (that statement should set a debate going!).

  Richard

  On Mon Nov 2 6:50 , 'Mark Regan' sent:

    IR17;m thinking of doing a cd of big clock bells and unusual clock chimes in the UK. Please can subscribers let me know of any clock chimes which they think worth recording?

    .

    With thanks

    Mark

    Mark Regan