Unusual clock chimes

Mark Regan markregan at awwQjlIvI3_WZfzTZqEW4EMF_dLIr56o8UPPXRFB1a6LJFRQTkw1OAaXaYiQDl495W0Qs6QOWpTQ-Zf9BQ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Nov 6 08:52:04 GMT 2009

Thank you to everyone who has sent replies on and off list. Lots I wasn't aware of and some great observations which have made me think about the project.

To collect recordings of the interseting clock bells in the UK will require a tour of the island along the lines of Boswell and Johnson (and perhaps an Arts' Council grant will pay for it?)

My basic plan is a cd of bells in the UK which tell the time. This will range from Big Ben to the bell on HMS Victory (and, yes, Nelson is one of my heroes). Big bells and unusual chime sequences will comprise most of the recordings. So no room for carillons (another cd perhaps?) and Carl could start a similar venture in the USA?

If any subscribers would be willing to record some of bells for me that would be great. Either with your own equipment or I could post a solid state recorder to you. If you'd like to help please reply off list.

This 'Lost and Found' cd would be a collaborative effort and demonstrate the benefits of David's work to set up this list.

Lost and Found 4: Changeringing on Handbells will be published in early December 2009. A double cd - in memory of Bill Jackson. Proceeds to Multiple Sclerosis research. I hope many of you will buy it.

Mark