[Bell Historians] The sound of bells in 1170

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at mEK8f0jIf79pkW3rA6F1uxywsJSAfn9zaZNOh5l3mnE1eYepE9GiNi6khoRSd3cq-Q3UCQyT6wEFKDiXEpIuLt2YgFTX.yahoo.invalid
Sat Nov 7 09:33:08 GMT 2009

Thanks, Richard - all useful

But two brief come-backs:
First we're talking 1150 not 1520, and the limits of casting technology (just how big a bell could they have cast?) may have been very different four centuries earlier
Second, even with four platforms and four ropes (although maybe there's a further point of leverage I haven't considered) - how practical is it to get 32 ringers (all co-operating efficiently) on one bell?

Off to a wedding now - hope to read more when I get back tomorrow

CP

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Smith
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:26 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] The sound of bells in 1170

  Chris Pickford wrote:

  > The idea that these bells were rung by treading beams
  > certainly seems plausible - but do we know anything from
  > elsewhere about how many people (e.g. per ton of bell) it
  > took to operate this system. If they weren't that heavy,
  > why were so many ringers needed?

  The Sigmund bell at Kraków cathedral in Poland weighs
  somewhere in the region of 9 to 10 tons (Dickon has the
  exact figure) and was cast in 1520. It is hung with two
  long wooden beams fastened to its very large wooden
  headstock. The beams probably extend about 10 feet either
  side of the bell, and the bell is rung by people hauling on
  ropes hung from the end of these beams. So far as I could
  see, the fittings seemed well maintained. However even
  today, ten to twelve ringers are required to ring it (or so
  they claim; I didn't actually see it done). That's
  approaching one-and-a-half ringers per ton.

  I guess that bells rung by treading on the beams would
  require more ringers as it seems to me that is a less easy
  way of putting the bell into motion. Add more friction to
  the bearings and clapper, and I could easily believe as many
  as three ringers per ton, maybe even four. Even so, this
  would make Wybert's bell weigh six to eight tons. The
  question is, how unbelievable is this? From memory (I'm
  writing this en route to the ASCY dinner), Prior Henry's
  14th C bell at Canterbury weighed 64 cwt. Are any larger
  bells of this era known?

  RAS