The sound of bells in 1170

oakcroft13 bill at CHYBF07wicSlAevaYFaCjL0r5BpFctlqCsIYLnVI6OZ_pu6yzU94ubbp5IlBO73CCsv6pwUD009D.yahoo.invalid
Sun Nov 8 22:28:49 GMT 2009

CP:
> and if so, what other information to we have on the casting / existence of very large bells in Britain or in Europe at that date?

The largest oldest surviving European bell of which I have details is the Freiburg bell, cast 1258, weight 3.29t.

Percival Price's 'Bells and Man' gives a list of others in Appendix A, including Hersfeld, cast 1036~1039, 1.3t; Fulda, c.1200, 1.75t; Aachen, 1251, 4t, and several others.

Bill H