[Bell Historians] Re: Telegraph letter

matthewhigby at eVT4PX57f2TyYQLdgBVrgnvE7JI3MMZGc093bpEDL4Am95t3VS3K67O18nxa4vPuv-F6Fj9Rh-JmNg.yahoo.invalid matthewhigby at eVT4PX57f2TyYQLdgBVrgnvE7JI3MMZGc093bpEDL4Am95t3VS3K67O18nxa4vPuv-F6Fj9Rh-JmNg.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 14 09:07:49 BST 2009

I think that Nigel and Mark make some really valid points. Who's to blame will vary from case to case, person to person, and area to area. In my experience - it is the contractor who is dragged into negotiate with the conservation bodies, carry out feasibility studies and produce vast sets of drawings etc (often without being paid). We are then left to pick up the pieces, and are still expected to produce a top quality product, with our arms tied behind our backs.

On a slightly different note:-

History has been made this week (in the world of Matthew Higby & Company that is). For the first time in our history (nearly 14 years) we have been formally approached by the Towers and Belfries committee, for some information and advice.

Best wishes,

Matthew

Good points Nigel and a lot depends on the ability and willingness of DAC advisors to really help a parish rather than be overawed by the views of the amenity groups.

Ringers’ and the belltrades’ interests have been badly represented (if at all) by recent representation by the CCCBR. John Baldwin did a good job on the last code of practice. That’s some years ago though. If these people really cared about ringing they’d do something positive.

When I fixed up the Perspectives conference I offered it to the CCCBR to ‘own’ as their event. They refused. I think I’ll fix up another conference to get together views on how ringers
 and the trades’ interests can be better represented. The CCCBR has failed.

Mark

Good points Nigel and a lot depends on the ability and willingness of DAC advisors to really help a parish rather than be overawed by the views of the amenity groups.

Ringers’ and the belltrades’ interests have been badly represented (if at all) by recent representation by the CCCBR. John Baldwin did a good job on the last code of practice. That’s some years ago though. If these people really cared about ringing they’d do something positive.

When I fixed up the Perspectives conference I offered it to the CCCBR to ‘own’ as their event. They refused. I think I’ll fix up another conference to get together views on how ringers’ and the trades’ interests can be better represented. The CCCBR has failed.

Mark

Mark Regan

22 Sebright Avenue

Worcester