[Bell Historians] A bell founder called Abbot?

Peter Rivet peter at 1LK4MjR0zjmlG89R2_wn06NyljAlH1XBV387h3rwzh02FektOZcRPB4oqepYcs9JCOZagbgL7TaPU1xdJQ.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 26 12:43:48 BST 2009

Abbott & Co of Gateshead cast a number of bells in NE England.  I was not
aware of any elsewhere, and like Howard I would be interested to know more.

So far as pillar boxes are concerned Abbots only cast one, the 1853
experimental one in Botchergate, Carlisle which was the first one on the
British mainland.  No drawings of it appear to have survived.  Subsequently
contracts were let for each area of the UK but the one for the north of
England went to a founder called Ashworth in Burnley.  The earlier Channel
Islands pillar boxes, two of which still exist, were cast locally by a St
Helier founder called Vaudin.

Peter Rivet