Ropes - Help Please

Alan Ellis alan_ellis at t4cZ-ku_onCJUStRKpIixV7__VmOCvFO4azkoyva_wl_0phJjIBd-41GI2PqGhEgqFXD7GU-bk3mXm7cO5g.yahoo.invalid
Sun Aug 1 21:21:01 BST 2010

Hello Everyone,

We are at the end of our rope(s).  :-)

Our current ropes are only two years old and we have yet to be able to
eliminate the elasticity.    Our tower captain hates them and our
visitors dislike them and have trouble with them.   Our ringing friends
in Seattle no longer like to visit even.

We have hung weights on the end for weeks but the elasticity comes back
as soon as the weather warms up.  They were regular ropes with a
silicone coating above the sally.

This was the fourth complete set we have had over the years  from Peter
Minchin.  All the other sets were completely satisfactory and lasted 8
to 10 years, depending upon the amount of ringing and the care taken by
the steeplekeeper.

Of course this was all my fault because I did not order this latest set
of ropes with terylene tops!   :-(

We would appreciate any and all suggestions, from replacing them with a
new set having terylene tops, to splicing in terylene tops to the
existing sallies, to changing suppliers.   Come to that, are there any
suppliers left these days, or have they all retired?

Your suggestions will be gratefully appreciated,

Alan Ellis
Holy Rosary Cathedral
Vancouver, B.C.