[Bell Historians] Dunbar Bells lost at sea

Laurie Alexander laurie2027 at UbFxPlTMzLWheXAN8Jfj6RuFFgKq_h-WFQ_tgvyJEEa_gRsI3WNi69UG-EbWjinuge2u35idWOzVrt4Lja0.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 11 03:13:07 BST 2010

 Thanks George, I will do some more research, I was always told the church had 'the ships bell' but 3 years ago a researcher from the North Shore of Sydney came in with the draft of a book he had been researching and writing, he showed me the photographs of all the bells in the peal, our bell being one of them, I have since lost contact with him.  If I could locate the pub in Balmain (I am told there is another bell there) that might shed some more light on the mystery.  The current bell at St John's was purchased at a salvage auction along with a number of other items from the ship, the bell was placed in a turret at the front of the church, I have a photo of (this taken in 1871), however when the Spire was built in 1873, the bell was moved to the school next door and became the prefects bell before being moved (in 1966) to the current location in the church entrance, (might it have been modified for the moves?) I will do some more research and report back.
Regards,
Laurie

This does not look like a regular founders bell. From the picture there is no inscription? And is that a join line at the shoulder?

In other words the bell cannot be part of a ‘peal’.