Crown Bob

Graham John graham at aRsrQQuZq8L6r41VKK1ZbwvCDB2gwxhWc3ciS5B7w2oZkgqx9GfF9GrBb6ZLZQDwOUf4jbqiK2gI0RUDw7DYGg.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 11 23:22:35 GMT 2010

David,

Many thanks for the additional information. In particular, the reference to
Crown Bob in 1793 and as far back as 1702 . During the 18th and 19th
centuries growing and showing gooseberries was a popular pastime in the
north of England and hundreds of new varieties were developed, many with
interesting names. It is not known when or where the Crown Bob gooseberry
originated  but it was already well-established in 1812, when a specimen of
it won the best red category in the 1812 Mansfield Gooseberry Show. By 1850
it was called Old Crown Bob, and was the most popular and widely planted of
all gooseberries. Before that it was called Melling's Crown Bob, and since
gooseberries were normally named after their originator, it is likely that
this variety was bred by a Mr Melling. It seems, therefore, quite possible
that Melling was also a bell ringer. It would interesting to know whether
there is any evidence for a prominent ringer called Melling in the late
1700s, possibly from the Lancashire/Cheshire area.

Graham