[Bell Historians] Clappers

David Bagley david at OwB5IlNPsKZsT7G0rb7DI1D259Zb7P3mrWz0l8IJZziSoZ-YX-0BAN9vzNMhVJ3un4tF66lle6fuLOpjnBHugUeK.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jul 31 07:49:17 BST 2010

Matthew's right, the flight is very important.

I also think I'ts due to nodes and anti nodes of vibration along the length
of a clapper. The material, as we all know, is very important. How many
times have we heard about the differences between wrought iron and SG?

The clapper pivot needs to be at a node (null) otherwise it will put the
staple under too much force and break it, which when it was a small piece of
wrought iron cast into the bell was important.

The mass of the ball means that it is unlikely to vibrate much when struck,
so this too should be considered as a node.

The flight therefore could be considered to "tune" the clapper such that the
pivot is as close to an node as possible.

I can imagine blacksmiths of old reshaping the flight in the forge until
they felt minimim shock at the pivot when hitting the other end.

Only wrought iron can be "tuned" in the forge. SG shafts can be turned down
on a lathe, but has anybody ever thought of "tuning" them for a node at the
pivot?