Buckworth

Sue Marsden erincaters at W6TNkVcprw2tOFnJHBEYE0DAt2xAt0B4lB6w2ecPIKggDTT8NVcqbwwP4GrHQLfNu2jSyCS91zRbsitz_x5CTULm.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jul 31 13:56:31 BST 2010

I thought members might be interested in these photos of Buckworth,
Hunts. Apologies for the quality but I only had my phone with me. the
bells are hung in the chamber behind the large opening in the spire.
There are no louvres (never have been) just the stone cross pieces
seen. There is no floor under the bells, just a 20'drop or so to a
very unsafe floor in the lower chamber! With no louvres to protect the
fittings from the weather, they are in a sorry state. The frame is
basically not too bad but the state of the fittings means that the
bells are in danger of falling and so will probably be taken down in
the near future. With so many boards etc over the fram to enable safe
acces it is not too easy to get a clear photo but hopefully they show
enough. This week there was a meeting with the architect, PCC,
bellfounders and the local restoration group to see if agreement could
be reached as to what could be done. The architect's report mentions
surveyors, scaffolding and the like, all well beyond a parish of some
40 houses! Some stonework also needs attention. At a rough guess a
full restoration job would be around a quarter of a million which is
just not possible for the village to raise, so I would say the chances
of them ringing again are remote.

SEM