[Bell Historians] Ball races

David Bryant davidbryant at FWXEJHGVFDMGDBFFVjG39Fnn2lTAgq_CgepSfxZGwOjnIqMcNwEA0pyVYa34FguHMW2IzK28yOPyFwSCuIUDG8TpTQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 21 11:41:03 BST 2010

> We are trying to raise money to rehang the ring of 10
> at Beccles, Suffolk,
> on ball bearings. One of the things suggested for raising money was "Buy a
> Bearing". Could somebody either give me an indication or point me in the
> right direction for finding out the price of ball races used for such a job.
> The bells range in weight between 6cwt and 25cwt. Obviously the cases and
> labour will add more expense but I would just like to know the basic price of
> one bearing.

Are they currently on plain bearings? If so you will probably be looking at new gudgeons as well, which in turn is likely to require the headstocks to be taken away to a bellhanger's workshop - which will add significantly to the cost.