[Bell Historians] Re: EH

Robert Lewis editor at UyhvJAGTaZ4b634CiYYbbEtcvEWtlJwBq-250ESd53q6AgLuKYlVS-CV3oshv_H4r0FOzpDwuPC0_DshP1Cu4w.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 16 00:13:20 GMT 2010

At 17:51 15/03/2010, DrL wrote:

>I can't see it being abolished, but it may have less money to grant to
>restorations.  So it will still have the capacity to interfere without
>the means to make financial contributions: lose lose situation.

True - but I don't think EH is particularly well known for granting
money directly to bell projects.  It might be interesting to have
some hard figures on that if anyone on the list knows.  Are they not
famous for being "careless with other people's money" (CJP) when it
comes to giving "advice" and stating their "preferences" in relation
to bell work?

Even so, it is regrettable that historic churches stand to lose out
on funding for other basic restoration work, albeit money that
invariably comes with nasty strings attached.

Some of EH's recent exotic schemes - the gardens at Kenilworth and
the restoration (for private use) of a wilfully neglected country
house in Northants. appear to have been an outrageous misuse of public money.

Unless Mr. Thurley was a member of the Bullingdon club he must be
quite worried about his job right now.

RAL