[Bell Historians] Riverside, New York

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at YWmL8gaqjvWxGJdEWJJEV_EToVKn5crK6Jtpcb3acrB7rxak3jmQ_yoQPL-fD_mHBGizJQuIvb9AACdG.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 21 18:46:25 GMT 2010

I'll have to plead the classic "I'm away from home at the moment, and thus don't have access to my detailed records."  However, the GCNA Website does show that 16 G&J bells remain now (12 from 1925 and 4 from 1931).  Since Vanbergen extended the instrument from 72 to 74 bells, they could have supplied at most 58, replacing at most 56 of the original G&J bells.

I don't remember whether Tim Hurd pulled out any G&J bells when he replaced all of the Vanbergens with Whitechapels.  If he did, it was no more than 2 bells, because I'm certain that the number left by Vanbergen was less than 20 - either 18 or 16.  So Vanbergen replaced at least 54, and possibly 56.

Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment!  I'll be back home in a week, and will be able to give a better answer then.

Carl Scott Zimmerman

Saint Louis, Missouri, USA -

- 19th c. home of up to 34 bell founders or resellers

Tel. (314)821-8437

Webmaster for http://www.GCNA.org/

Webmaster for http://www.TowerBells.org/

  *  Avocation:   tower bells