Riverside

Andrew Wilby andrew at KKqlzcv8bPyIx9r6HJXIwI5wqCD73aJUr4cfWshxS4eoX6NSQmG4BYmLvx5jqlJIPxE7F3KlJE5GEUI.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 22 10:23:23 GMT 2010

You may be interested in a recent report of a visit made on behalf of
John Taylor & Co to Riverside.

<The contract at Riverside was carried out by a company called “Olympic
Carillons” which is owned by Timothy Hurd and his brother based in
Wellington New Zealand. They subcontracted the recasting of the Van
Bergen bells to Whitechapel - I think at least 37 of the smallest bells
some as small as 10 lbs – the story goes that both Van Bergen and Hurd
recast all the G & J bells they could get down in the lift – biggest
about 14 cwts I think.

As I understand it Timothy Hurd provided the bell profiles – his version
of G & J/ based on G & J.

Originally the instrument had power assist mechanisms on the largest
bells but this was removed in the 1999 remodelling and the largest bells
are almost impossible to sound without a fully grown man standing up and
pressing with full might on the pedals – obviously impossible in a
recital. The original Bass bell is not therefore the effective Bass bell
of the present instrument.>

Andrew