[Bell Historians] Fort William

Alan Ellis alan_ellis at sETsgsHTmyzCGcIXedL3enPInQS0fnsMob884gOzkzXYARGyFzTa1dkBKG5xCNmRm7JkVSLJNTFQ_gN387DO.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 24 22:45:11 GMT 2010

Hi Bryan,

The following is an excerpt from an article I am writing about St. James.

Best wishes

Alan

St. James (Granville) Vancouver, B.C.

This tower has a ring of 8 bells cast by Taylor’s of Loughborough in 1936.

The tenor weighs 41cwt 1 qrtr 8 lbs.   If only they had been hung for
ringing, they would be the second heaviest ringing 8 in the world.

Thanks to Andrew Higson of Taylor, Eayre & Smith, the complete details
of the bells are as follows:

NOTE                WEIGHT                        DIAMETER

C                      5-1-22               30.5 in.

B                      6-0-22               32.0 in.

A                      8-3-22               36 in.

G                      12-2-11             40.5 in.

F                      18-1-7               45.5 in.

E                      20-1-25             48 in.

D                      31-2-20             53.88 in.

C (517 Hz)         41-1-8               60.5 in.

The inscription band for bell nos. 1 through 7 shows

* JOHN TAYLOR & Co. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * ENGLAND * 1936 *

End of quote