[Bell Historians] Church Bells of the West Riding of Yorkshire

Richard Offen richard.offen at Q77-WQYpc47ElFC_gUbWNC4G1Cmr_eCOhSvCrX9BuWyjHSzI0IK5wSy_ItInyn9PyeRhqkHh6x8QymRXEohho9W-bDc5.yahoo.invalid
Wed Sep 15 15:10:49 BST 2010

Is this a project for Alan Ellis?   His facsimile books are superb
productions.

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Andrew Aspland
Sent: Wednesday, 15 September 2010 4:31 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Church Bells of the West Riding of Yorkshire

During the last 20 years of the nineteenth century J Eyre Poppleton, of
Pontefract (my home town!) researched the bells in the ancient churches of
the West Riding of Yorkshire.  His findings were published in the Yorkshire
Archaeological Journal during 1902 and 1903.  There was also a reprinted
copy published as a complete book, "Church Bells of the West Riding of
Yorkshire".  I have only ever seen one copy of this book and that was in the
public library in Pontefract.  Several of my teenage days were spent
photocopying sections of this book, trying not to attract the attentions of
the librarian, until I had it all!

Recently I have managed to collect the necessary volumes of the Yorkshire
Archaeological Journal.  However, there are digital copies now online.

The necessary parts are:

Vol 16 pp 46 - 83 inc Plates I - VIII (published as Part 61)

Vol 17 pp 1 - 32 inc Plates IX - XV (published as Part 65)

Vol 17 pp 192 - 236 inc Plates XVI - XX (published as Part 66)

Vol 17 pp 434 - 462 (published as Part 68)

Vol 18 pp 88 - 104 (published as Part 69)

Some, but not all, may be found at:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Yorkshire+Archaeologica
l+Society%22

The plates are of particular interest as they form the basis of George
Dawson's numbering system for founders' marks but these have not been
reproduced (properly) in the above scans.  I have digitised my own copies
and I am in the rocess of putting them on my website
www.riponandleedsbells.org.uk - follow the Poppleton link.  Plate I is
misbehaving at the moment but the others seem to work.

Yours

Andrew