[Bell Historians] recovered church bell

Peter Rivet peter at 2QaEh3yQjuU6xlcvpOVAhRh9hDlT4zA_t3WTVSjjhNEBjnoK0Rr8ikg8KGlz5EVnAPVp-qN275p03HnFBqCX9A.yahoo.invalid
Wed Apr 6 08:36:34 BST 2011

Yes, the bell in the clip is being treated pretty badly; but at least the
police were following the case up.  The team they had with them were
primarily concerned with things stolen from wrecks and while you might
expect them to find a ship's bell in a haul of that kind you can't expect
them to be experts on everything.

Peter Rivet

  -----Original Message-----
  From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Chris Pickford
  Sent: 05 April 2011 23:26
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] recovered church bell

  Yeah, plod and his EH mates dragging an antique bell roughly over pebbly
concrete - not that convincing as a co-ordinated professional approach top
safeguarding stolen heritage property. Hardly the way to treat a precious
artefact!

  Reminds me of a case I've encountered very recently of a bell from a
Warwickshire Country house (which I saw back in 1980 with Chris Dalton who
photographed it for me) that was stolen while the house was unoccupied. It
was dated 1610 and inscribed with the names of the people who owned the
house when it was remodelled in the early C17th. It was sold as unclaimed
property in a police auction of stolen goods, but fortunately someone local
realised where it came from - though after the sale, and the present owners
of the house (now a hotel) had to buy it back.

  Apparently (according to the information now displayed alongside the bell
in the hotel foyer) the police claimed that they hadn't even noticed the
inscription and date on the bell at all - let alone followed the clues (the
inscription is in the VCH) as to where it came from!

  CP