[Bell Historians] G&J

John Harrison john at xpDZC0NC3QtccBe2EO8CsOmJ1E9ZIYkVOtJ7PM4mCDOcZgMte25QnotevrQ3m2lHL76pLuGCWYoaPPgl-Q.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 19 16:02:46 BST 2011

> I seem to remember, watching the one on the tenor at Lydd, that the
> toggle dropped into the position to hold the clapper off the bell when
> the clapper rebounded after its first impact.

That is what one would expect.  It's just difficult to see how it would do
so.  Presumably the toggle resets itself to be clear of the clapper while
the bell is swinging free, and is then moved by the clapper into a position
where it 'drops' (since it is called a gravity toggle) into a position from
which it can't return until reset, and while there holds off the clapper.

But around the time of strike, I would expect a free mass to move outwards
under centrifugal force, rather than downwards under gravity.

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk