Fire at St Mary's Chatham

Dickon Love dickon at 6X-jFzTafVtF5w4_Q5tdX9HvGJcCsOh7Xu4G9en5JI3o73_aUY8jJP1nxBEbwVNotEPGaN2ZZ6nPk2w.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 15 14:27:08 BST 2011

It appears that there was a fire at the redundant St Mary's church in Chatham (25 cwt Warner eight - pretty poor bells but in a tower that makes them sound really rather good).  Judging by the report and pictures, the tower, which is virtually detached, looks unscathed.

See:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/2011/august/15/church_blaze.aspx

DrL

Part of a derelict Chatham church's roof has been destroyed in a fire this morning.

More than 30 firefighters battled a blaze in St Mary's Church and busy Dock Road was closed to traffic in both directions

Crews from Medway and Strood and other parts of the county were called shortly after 5.30am after someone spotted smoke coming out of the church.

They managed to get the fire, which was contained in one part of the building, under control by about 7am.

Firefighters had to cut away parts of the timber roof to stop the fire spreading.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We have done very well to save most of it. It had the potential to spread because the roof is made of timber."

Dock Road, which has now re-opened, was closed in both directions this morning.

Station Manager, Lawrence Pater, said: "Because of the extensive nature of the operation we did not want traffic hindering our operation and we did not want them in the risk area."

The church, which also used to be a heritage centre, has been derelict for several years and is one of Chatham's oldest buildings.

It is opposite Fort Amherst and at the height of the blaze six fire engines were on the scene.

The cause of the fire is currently unknown.