[Bell Historians] van Aerschodt bell for sale

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at y_OQakrhEBfMgwoqnd1WCPDMcDJ_7eHGIjWjUk56xzy5U9Qx3lBPq062dr6ecYMgCN5LAcHOaoaoIk-qrYNJ8O1u1C-sI91mOA.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 31 10:59:24 BST 2011

Further to my earlier posting, I've now checked the e-bay advert (yes,
the bell is dated 1880, and the photos don't show any special
inscription) and also looked at the list of Van Aerschodt bells in the
UK. As has been said, this bell is too big to be the Cattistock bell
(probably destroyed in 1940 anyway), and there are no other obvious
candidates from the list.

In 1879, though, Van Aershodt did supply three bells (weights converted
from kg as 0-3-0, 1-0-3 and 2-1-14) for Hamilton, Greenbank, Scotland,
followed by another of 6-0-4 in 1882. As the bell offered for sale is in
Scotland, I just wonder if it might be one of these (as 1879 could be
the order date, and not necessarily the date cast on the bell)

I have alerted the grandson of the last of the Van Aerschodts to all
this. If he can add anything, I'll pass the information on

--
Chris Pickford 4 Walmsley Court, High Street, Kinver, DY7 6HG Tel: 01384
878435 or (mobile) 07811 453525 E-mail: c.j.pickford at IQWm2e1HFx205ydSX62s0x7xdwbogTvkX8K9UsHd6AhJ1q2MyKyAjFOvqDW6qAhs5yQ1ufHc3xqOEqq-iP8p6dI.yahoo.invalid or