Mediaeval Handbell

Carl_S_Zimmerman csz_stl at C-vLemTpSDCgK5l1OGpI7LXq6s685jdyMVygS57AvyfWtxFXr-Ajp102MivEZ6zC-WvFo6xWBjlLplD3.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 20 19:41:14 GMT 2011

With that rectangular looped top, it's more likely to have been made for an animal to wear than for use as a handbell.  In the USA, such bells are commonly called "horse car bells" because they were hung on the horses which pulled what were later called trolley cars.  Some are plain, like yours, but some included lettering showing the name (usually abbreviated) of the company which operated the horse car line.  The most likely date in this country would be in the 3rd quarter of the 19th century.

Carl