[Bell Historians] Cost of 1669 Bell Metal

David Willis dcwillispiano at vQ846nRY-ePrrSFtSqIQdhJkHtb5zg7ucMee0S09sr9MQdsIRD2_2OyTLMkXtBY9ITzGR45iH2E7UY6fY9rhOxtP.yahoo.invalid
Wed Feb 16 22:52:02 GMT 2011

I have a couple of references from the recent books on the bells of Devon . .

1676: Goodleigh Accounts: "pd for 66li of mettell at 1s 2d pr li"

1690: Upton Hellions Wardens' Accounts: "We are to pay Mr Penniton 1li 2s & 6d for every hundred weights casting; Itm we are also to pay him 1s & 2d for ye mettall he shall add unto ye sd bell; & if any of ye metall of ye sd bell be Diminished Mr Penniton is to allow us 1s pr pound, wee allowing five pounds pr 100 for wast; and ye sd Mr Penniton faithfull promises to make ye sd bell sound and tunable."

So there you have it 1 shilling and twopence per pound weight.