[Bell Historians] Cost of 1669 Bell Metal

Peter Wilkinson petewilkinson298 at iTkJ0lGjB-eEMNzupGFnGlaWNbQjoebDc3ZgXysKUmigTA-DmebFSzP9teiyoUB4pl8P1vGcY8-Au1Q-MhcS0hBaPbWPzA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 17 12:58:50 GMT 2011

The following link gives a site with other links, including a currency converter from the National Archives:
projects.exeter.ac.uk/RDavies/arian/current/howmuch.html
Hope this is useful.
PW

To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
From: editor at -2K8JWt4wzmHXK7BHGCYwg-Zi5yQUrIk4qrmgxt_yCLx0jFadGeORTUat81FFUaC1yL5LJjOljT4glr4vk5ojT1R.yahoo.invalid
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:48:54 +0000
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Cost of 1669 Bell Metal

      At 11:33 16/02/2011, DrL wrote:

>Does anyone have a feeling for the value of bell

>metal in 1669.  I have discovered a reference to

>£38-3-10 of good bell metal and £8-0-0 of coarse

>bell metal having been retrieved from St Magnus

>the Martyr after the Great Fire of London, and I

>am trying to get a handle on how much metal that represents.

I imagine that £38 was a very great deal of money

in 1669 - can anyone on the list do the

calculation as to what that represents in today's money?

There was an item on Radio 4 news this morning

which reported that theft of copper cabling in

the UK is at an all-time high. Apparently the

police are setting up a special task-force unit to try to tackle it.

RAL