[Bell Historians] St Peter's, Wisbech

Richard Smith richard at jqJtzI7NhxUAOCP80kVjoiD09m4DNa-iOn7A-b-17m0_CeoB9P4KMqooO4bWEGCH1VrlO6ubjv_In-4.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 17 23:50:14 BST 2011

alan_ellis at 5tHa8uhLmuVQ5R3b9Q7Xu054hrPBpO9nBdDQREAKO2KvYjqwxrGMdom8AjO2qA0C2LqGViEZHdtIWimzSg.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Further to Chris' comments, Raven's book also says that the original peal
> was in the key of F.   The dates 1566, 1608 and 1640 were noted in
> Raven's 1882 Supplement to CB Cambridgeshire.

Damn.  Bitten again by the fact I only have access to a
(copy of a) first edition.

> The Supplement quotes Watson's History of Wisbech pp 243
> and 435.

Excellent; thanks for that.  I do have easy access to that.
It was published in 1827 (i.e. four years after the new
bells were cast).  On p.243 he says "There used to be a peal
of eight bells, where were re-cast in the year 1823, when
the present esteemed vicar, the Rev. A. Jobson, D.D. gave
two additional ones at his own expense, making ten, which
send forth a sonorous peal on all joyous occasion.
Previously, the oldest bore date A.D. 1566, another 1608,
and a third 1640."  But I can't see anything about bells on
p.435.

> I give up!   What is the VCH?

The Victoria History of the Counties of England (more
commonly called the Victoria County History).

RAS