Expert needed for new television series.

John Camp camp at LTKmEv_7GPSY1hLwLEMxKw2ueDZSIxgUfPGl_-aOF28a-1zUpewMUqxenmIKU1GNA77GBNriBGBMcHcbN3M.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 22 17:23:15 BST 2011

I have received an email from Al Rodgers of the BBC Religion and Ethics
Department.  It is reproduced below.  If you think you could help, or
can suggest anyone who might be appropriate, please let me know OFF-LIST
(<camp at KEXtvDtjddLi_L1ww7n_Z_dkBTFq-t3olFjz0tWaMnhY8msYlKksvlb8pdrX6t0vZHcFrh8hXsaFTAMXYg.yahoo.invalid>).

Diarmaid MacCulloch is Professor of the History of the Church at Oxford
and an old friend of mine.  His book "A History of Christianity" was
made into a television series, which he presented.

John Camp

====================================

Dear Mr Camp,

Diarmaid MacCulloch suggested I get in touch - I hope that you don't
mind.

We (BBC Television's Religion and Ethics Department) are currently
making a series for BBC2 with Diarmaid about "Englishness" and the role
of the church in shaping our national identity. One aspect we hope to
cover is great tradition of bell ringing, and wondered whether you might
be able to suggest an expert on the history of change ringing (we are
particularly interested in the pre-Reformation practice of naming bells
after saints, the protestant reaction against this, but then the
development of distinctive change ringing), who might also be in a
position to demonstrate some ringing for Diarmaid?

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time,

Al Rodgers

Al(asdair) Rodgers
BBC Religion and Ethics