[Bell Historians] Sussex bells

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at u-Fe1xtzs1TXzGc9CX_rEBGC9ht0Yb_FENMlmCEgMAXQQxvU4FfcvcTpGV55DeBqnNyMKZ-51i58NyRwvl0.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 31 18:44:31 BST 2011

Indeed, an excellent resource

It reminds me that there are details lacking on Dove of a well-known Sussex
tower - Rye. Dove simply gives the founders as Lester & Pack 1775 for all
the bells, and a tenor weight of 19-2-2. On p296 of the Bell News of
18/6/1886 an article gives the inscriptions, and states that the weights are
given on a tablet in the tower. It does not give the weights, but quotes the
tenor as 19-0-17, which is what peal reports of the time also give.

Taylors rehung the bells in a new composite frame in 1897, but the records
available to me suggest that the bells did not leave the tower. There is a
photo of the bells here:

http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/sussex/rye040big.html

Clearly, the bells have been rehung by Eayre & Smith in fairly recent times,
and it looks as if all the canons have been removed. Anyone have any
details?

Andrew Bull

  _____