[Bell Historians] Saw Pit Frame

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd, www.bellhangers.com matthewhigby at HjSMZWDhC1WjWcI5GbByI4nIIZtXs6J2D2nN0f63gRWs_wy_7WJxxpQVWoQL_69sCocTLbd1hjdI4lo.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 25 22:07:16 BST 2011

In reply to Mike/Ernie's message - Sawpit frames are often the best way of fitting the most bell metal into the smallest available space. I have built several such frames where space has been an issue - Chawton and Hutton spring to mind without digging too deeply into my memory. In both cases this was the only way to get the ring into a single level layout, all of the bells swing in the strongest direction of the tower (E/W) and the bells are roped opposed (3 down the East side and 3 the West). I suppose you would need to consider the design and strengths of the particular towers involved, but this type of frame is very common and in my opinion, works really well.

Some interesting saw-pit type frames are Wellow (Somerset) where the 22cwt six all swing East/West and are all roped down the same side of the wheels (in two lines of three). Another is the original six bell frame at Ashchurch (Glos) which is simply 4 RSJ's for a 12cwt peal! There are others!

Hope this helps,

Matthew