[Bell Historians] Dove's Guide of 1800 (was Peals on Six Bells)

Peter Rivet peter at HmLF39vE1LoDu87ngV-mFAlz5_qTk0vt5yNLlelYQaQWhQhN7_U3HXmAZV-2_eNUtU-x6WWUlw2wk5JveivdUc8.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 2 10:51:21 GMT 2011

One correction - Durham St Oswald should be 6, not 5 so I have altered the
list which appears below.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Peter Rivet [mailto:peter at LQzjGNWsF7VieD_BBxJILJYOb-yURmQ-tkcjfbLv5rCG1RhPafAxE9c1kK8b-JA2e5Iua2Di-34ncGqp1KdhVA.yahoo.invalid]
  Sent: 02 November 2011 10:43
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Dove's Guide of 1800 (was Peals on Six
Bells)

  As Sam says it would be really useful to have a version of Dove's Guide to
the whole country at the beginning of the 19th century.  Any base line is
arbitrary; I would be inclined to follow him and go for 1800 rather than
1837.  If we all contribute an area it should be possible to put one
together fairly easily.

  Here is the 1800 list for NE England - it's appeared before in the booklet
on Bells of the Durham & Newcastle Dioceses, but I think it's worth
producing again.  A lot of the weights are speculative as Blair in his notes
for the Newcastle Society of Antiquaries didn't generally record them.
Perhaps somebody can provide more accurate ones based on old certificates
hanging in towers.

  CO DURHAM

  Bishop Auckland (South Church) At Andrew 5 (or possibly 6) ?10cwt, depends
if they were a minor 5 or a 6 before 1881.
  Darlington, St Cuthbert 6, 14 1/2 cwt
  Durham Cathedral 8, 30cwt
  Durham St Nicholas 5, 10cwt
  Durham St Oswald 6, 17cwt
  Gateshead St Mary 8, 15cwt
  Sedgefield St Mary 5, 13cwt
  South Shields St Hilda 6, 9cwt
  Staindrop, St Mary 6, 13 cwt
  Stockton on Tees Parish Church 6, 8cwt

  NORTHUMBERLAND

  Berwick Town Hall 8 21cwt
  Morpeth Watch Tower 6 10cwt
  Hexham Abbey 8 21cwt
  Newcastle All Saints 8 19cwt
  Newcastle St Andrew 6 19cwt
  Newcastle St John Bapt 6 12 1/2 cwt
  Newcastle St Nicholas 8 16 1/2 cwt
  Tynemouth (North Shields) Christ Church 6 16cwt

  On my present home patch of Lancashire, I don't have anything like enough
information to hand to do the whole county at present, but here for a start
is the area around Lancaster:

  Hornby, St Margaret 6, 10cwt
  Lancaster Priory Church of St Mary 8, 24cwt
  Melling, St Wilfrid 6, 10cwt

  Peter Rivet