Peals on Six Bells

A Glover aglover at cQvXWCJLB4P7ZllE887kSIEbuUgvMq6xOCNHnQy5oQstOtzyw8PZN2BsBFiLEAa1d_h6HVfZWYS9z8A.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 2 18:47:30 GMT 2011

As Chris Pickford suggested, Cyril Wratten's papers in the Central Council library contain a wealth of material on the development of  Minor methods and early peals of Minor with an emphasis on multi-method peals and extents of spliced Minor. He also gathered a lot of data about the dates of successive augmentations at all the towers then in Dove. He received help in this from many of the well-known bell historians of the period (including CJP!)

There are two problems with retrieving the information: my own inexperience, and the sheer quantity of lists, indexes, draft articles and correspondence that Cyril accumulated. I have sorted and catalogued some of the material, and so far I have filled fourteen lever arch files.

With these provisos, I am more than happy to look for information when asked.

On the subject of the Whitechapel peal and Worcester S., York S. and Bristol S., it may be a coincidence but these three methods are listed consecutively in William Woodcock's Notebook (undated) and are described as Oxford and London, Cambridge and London and Tulip and London respectively.

Alan Glover

CC Librarian