Swardeston, Norfolk

David & Mary Kelly keltek at Zka13Dv8H4fMxwu9uePTDVrHThHBqKpHLMr0_kYFu7GCpLps3CZFmpCiqi-2gvIicPlQ-5U-J8z7YE09WsgbZA.yahoo.invalid
Sat Nov 5 12:22:01 GMT 2011

I had a look at Swardeston bells yesterday. They were a ring of five but in 1806 the third bell fell while being raised and killed the ringer! The broken third bell was stolen in December 1839 according to the Norwich Mercury of Sat. 28th Dec.1839.

Although the ring appears in Dove as an "unringable" ring of four bells, it is clear that the bells have been rehung for chiming. I believe that most of the 5-bell frame was removed leaving two original frame-sides and a new frame side added parallel to the two frame sides. The tenor bell is now hung for static chiming between the new frame side and one of the old frame sides; the three remaining bells are hung for static chiming between the two old frame sides. (I can email photos to anyone interested in seeing them.) This work appears to have been undertaken many years ago as the second bell now sits on stout blocks of wood to prevent it from falling.

My question is does anyone know when the bells were rehung for chiming? It must be post 1806 and does not appear to have been undertaken recently.

Dave