[Bell Historians] Mystery Bell

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at e9x1DQb7ThTmBzuwlyh15RoJmNsdf8BH9d-VBQ1SrFSfVEwIv04WJx9uTnEgWa3tQ6SbM8hHKFGa8L4rnPKmEW4N1NETaWZIkOk.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 7 09:42:54 GMT 2011

Nothing much on Woodhouse in the Potts book (although the 1900 ting-tang
clock is listed) or in Michael's list, but I've e-mailed hm to see if he
can add anything from his more detailed notes.

However, I'm as confident as I can be (Carrs being a special interest of
mine) that this is a Carr bell. As well as the factors I've mentioned
already (Carr supplied a lot of bells to Potts and the heavy / numerous
moulding wires are a Carr feature), I'd add that the disproportionately
small canons are also an indicatve feature, as is the lack of any date,
signature or inscription on bells supplied through clockmakers

Although much derided for the tonal quality of their bells, Carrs were
in fact the second firm to produce true-harmonic bells - from about
1904. Some of their individual bells after that date are really quite
good, but they weren't always brilliant at getting their bells in tune
with each other. If anyone wants a bit of a giggle at Carr's expense,
then try visiting Highley (Shropshire) where the bells are good singly
but entertainingly out-of-tune as a ring

--
Chris Pickford 4 Walmsley Court, High Street, Kinver, DY7 6HG Tel: 01384
878435 or (mobile) 07811 453525 E-mail: c.j.pickford at 0yCfq9jACmF9pThQ8H0eMvLAFkYD2ATdSwwIi90Qvjq5_h0ch4u7cb9a1mHqYodN0B5_y6w0axeRpfGnMqtJ7Rk.yahoo.invalid or