Historical differences between long-standing bell foundries?

mike at x5KprrihhobuSYmazSAh7jeveqovHiwyv_PN1DSHJdtCw3t7sw3JfcSNpQWbbgPEFt0hJT1wXf_kqWQaHiaSzWCj_-A.yahoo.invalid mike at x5KprrihhobuSYmazSAh7jeveqovHiwyv_PN1DSHJdtCw3t7sw3JfcSNpQWbbgPEFt0hJT1wXf_kqWQaHiaSzWCj_-A.yahoo.invalid
Fri Apr 27 13:23:26 BST 2012

> Taylor's continue to use
> traditional methods since amalgamating with Hayward Mills so perhaps the
> 'modern' casting approach is not cost-effective.
>
> Hayden Charles

I suspect that it might be that case that the marginal cost of producing an individual bell would be less, perhaps significantly so.  However, the output of bells these days is so low that the fixed cost component would make the scheme uneconomic.  To put it another way, production levels might not be high enough to justify the cost of changing to a more modern way of casting.

The picture, middle top, on http://www.southwark-bells.org.uk/sharp2.html does suggest that inscriptions in this method are not quite up to the crispness of the old method.

Mike