[Bell Historians] Video of Verdin's Sand-Casting Process

Richard Offen richard.offen at RcOc8r304pcXBRujnTWmRqaTnq0nQKSW4rFornA0JBjLoWlZ3JV_UfdmmtZkvGA81uXgR7f-x2APtS0G8dTNlAgF-v8.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 30 05:59:08 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----

	  From:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com

Sent:Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:09:40 -0000
Subject:[Bell Historians] Video of Verdin's Sand-Casting Process

Here's a video of Verdin's Sand-Casting Process.

http://www.verdin.com/bells/bell-casting.php [1]

Quite different from the traditional bell casting processes. I wonder
if this is Verdin's traveling foundry?

	Although slightly different in that Verdin are using an epoxy sand
mix as the moulding material, rather than the more traditional 'damp
sand' medium, bells have been sand cast in this manner at various
foundries for many years.   M

	Most Trinity House buoy bells cast by Gillett & Johnston and
Whitechapel (and, I assume, also at Taylors) were cast using this
method until production of such bells was discontinued.

	Where many bells of identical size are required and with little or no
ornamentation, this technique offers a quick and relatively cheap
method of manufacture.

	Richard

Links:
------