[Bell Historians] Olympic bell

Peter Rivet peter at RiJheo0nc7qoFvz-ScCVYrqkt5rSQE2IdImu14D7Eop830e9YzPtrYcKZIwNt7kNnKS33QhUpdTVc-LTRyI.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 1 09:44:05 BST 2012

A bell produces a series of notes which the human ear is comfortable, which
blend to form the strike note.  However with huge bells like this one the
way we perceive the strike note is liable to be be distorted, because some
of the relevant notes are outside our hearing range and others which we
wouldn't normally be aware of are inside it.  Perhaps ideally very big bells
ought to have a slightly different profile?  I can't see much chance of this
being researched properly as it would cost too much, but it seems to me an
interesting idea.

Peter Rivet

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Carl S Zimmerman <csz_stl at ...> wrote:
Yes, I could hear that on the TV last night.  But what I heard even more
prominently was the note E a fourth above it.  I suspect that this isn't
really a partial tone of the bell, but an artifact of the human ear, like
the one which plagued G&J during the creation of the Riverside bourdon.