[Bell Historians] Re: Counties

ALAN A J BUSWELL aaj.buswell at 0DvJmF295ir9AIYIwvhdWXNUBDNPLT3lpc7Mir7RczLflnxVH7Q5Ai0vHNaj8RSgCe2ZaAMgmy-mZVid1EXEaTKeHrE.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 7 10:18:19 BST 2012

As a record keeper using a card index system  for quarter peals, I find that a number of towers use their local names when, no doubt, they were then small villages.
 May I suggest an amendment to this list by;
 1) deleting the word 'Birmingham'. These towers are far from the city center.
 2) Delete 'Burton' [upon Trent]. Winshill appears to be outside the conurbation area of Burton on the map.
 3) Delete 'Manchester'. Northenden being outside the M60 circular.
 4) Delete 'Reading'. Caversham being on the North side of the Thames while Reading is South.
 5) Delete 'Ipsley'. Redditch St Peter is quite sufficient.
 6) Delete 'Stourbridge'. Amblecote is some way from Stourbridge.

I suggest these alterations to Dove as these are these names which appear in the Ringing World more often than not. There may be other locations where local names are given which could take priority. An example is South Church, Co Durham. RW p800. Find this in Dove!

AAJB

________________________________
 From: Tim Jackson <Tim at b8okUJekn8p4AzmdxKB_J2_svUbTMXemK6t-5OpR17dsxYA9n5_EcTAG2zWbnC9EV_mOq3Som5HtV-lUEhzwdwhDAHOu0CzwYVAn.yahoo.invalid>
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 6 August 2012, 20:43
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Counties

>>Posted by: "RJ Johnston, Geographical Sciences"
>>Good to know we're consistent!
>>Which way do the arrows run in your table?

I'm on digest and I didn't receive my own attachment so here is the list
again, this time with a heading row.

So, for example, I found that Penge was incorrectly listed as the
traditional county of Kent and this has now been corrected to the
traditional county of Surrey.

Tim

Tower: Was incorrectly listed as -> Now correctly listed as
Beckford: Worcestershire -> Gloucestershire
Birmingham, Handsworth: Warwickshire -> Staffordshire
Birmingham, Harborne: Warwickshire -> Staffordshire
Birmingham, King's Norton: Warwickshire -> Worcestershire
Birmingham, Moseley, S Anne: Warwickshire -> Worcestershire
Birmingham, Moseley, S Mary: Warwickshire -> Worcestershire
Birmingham, Northfield: Warwickshire -> Worcestershire
Birmingham, Perry Barr: Warwickshire -> Staffordshire
Birmingham, Selly Oak: Warwickshire -> Worcestershire
Birmingham, Yardley: Warwickshire -> Worcestershire
Burton, Winshill: Staffordshire -> Derbyshire
Chaceley: Gloucestershire -> Worcestershire
Chardstock: Devon -> Dorset
Childswickham: Worcestershire -> Gloucestershire
Churchstanton: Somerset -> Devon
Clifford Chambers: Warwickshire -> Gloucestershire
Damerham: Hampshire -> Wiltshire
Gorleston on Sea: Norfolk -> Suffolk
Great Chishill: Cambridgeshire -> Essex
Hawkchurch: Devon -> Dorset
Heydon: Cambridgeshire -> Essex
Hinton on the Green: Worcestershire -> Gloucestershire
Kemble: Gloucestershire -> Wiltshire
Kemerton: Worcestershire -> Gloucestershire
Kensworth: Bedfordshire -> Hertfordshire
Long Newnton: Gloucestershire -> Wiltshire
Lower Quinton: Warwickshire -> Gloucestershire
Manchester, Northenden: Lancashire -> Cheshire
Martin: Hampshire -> Wiltshire
Mathon: Herefordshire -> Worcestershire
Mossley, Roughtown: Lancashire -> Yorkshire
Netherseal: Derbyshire -> Leicestershire
Newmarket, All Ss: Suffolk -> Cambridgeshire
North Petherwin: Cornwall -> Devon
Overseal: Derbyshire -> Leicestershire
Pebworth: Worcestershire -> Gloucestershire
Penge: Kent -> Surrey
Reading, Caversham: Berkshire -> Oxfordshire
Redditch, Ipsley: Worcestershire -> Warwickshire
Redmarley D'Abitot: Gloucestershire -> Worcestershire
Sandford Orcas: Dorset -> Somerset
Shalbourne: Wiltshire -> Berkshire
Sheriffhales: Shropshire -> Staffordshire
South Mymms: Hertfordshire -> Middlesex
Staunton (SO72): Gloucestershire -> Worcestershire
Stokenchurch: Buckinghamshire -> Oxfordshire
Stourbridge, Amblecote: Worcestershire -> Staffordshire
Taxal: Derbyshire -> Cheshire
Towersey: Oxfordshire -> Buckinghamshire
Trent: Dorset -> Somerset
Upper Arley: Worcestershire -> Staffordshire
Wambrook: Somerset -> Dorset
Welford on Avon: Warwickshire -> Gloucestershire
Werrington: Cornwall -> Devon