[Bell Historians] Oldest Christian Bell

Richard Smith richard at Z6LEVM4Va6j9MLdN-tDYsPn_mgl60SpHQ1QGTGzgU_MB3tVpWHDH6sXDFeDyo0y7F33jmFw_ZbVJoH46XjM.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 13 11:12:54 BST 2012

Kevin Jones wrote:

> There is a 2nd Century bell at Tarragona Museum in Spain.

2nd century bells are not especially rare.  A quick internet
search suggests you can buy one yourself for less than £200
(from genuine-looking antiques dealerships or auction
houses: I'm not referring to items of dubious provenance on
eBay).  Almost invariably they're small enough to fit
comfortably in one hand, and generally they're either
hemispherical or have a cylindral waist and a hemispherical
crown.  If the one at Tarragona doesn't fit this general
type, I would be interested to know more.  In particular,
I've heard of an extant Roman bell with anything resembling
a sound bow, nor anything large enough to be heard over any
distance, and certainly nothing to prove Christian use in
Roman times.

RAS