[Bell Historians] Re: Oldest Christian Bell

Richard Smith richard at d5_7rGSsexhTFinU2sbJfwJRCk5iv2B3me1h41C6107V1UMIPxT8g02p4dqoSgpxWN9zjZrwONSLPzs.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 13 17:36:42 BST 2012

Eddie Martin wrote:

> The ancient Romans used small bells or tintinnabula and
> one may find references to what may have been gongs or
> large cymbals (signa) used as time markers or warnings of
> up-coming events, but they do not seem to have had any use
> for what could be reasonably described as being large
> bells.

How sure we can be that, in Classical times, 'signum' was
specifically a gong or cymbal, rather than any instrument
capable of giving a signal?  The word 'signum' appears in
Anglo-Saxon sources, and typically gets translated as
'bell'.  For example, in AD 750 when Egbert, Archbishop of
York, directed priests to ring their church bells at
appropriate times, the word he uses is 'signa'.  It seems
likely it means a bell, rather than a cymbal or gong, though
whether a cowbell or a cast bell, I don't think we can
safely say.

> There is a tradition that large church bells were first
> cast in Italy and that this process gradually spread
> westward.

The earliest reference to this tradition that I've been able
to trace is by Walahfrid Strabo in the 840s -- i.e. around
the time of the earliest extant tower bells.

Strabo also mentions the tradition that larger bells were
called 'campanae' after the province of Campania where they
were first made.  (I don't necessarily believe this
tradition.  Campania was famous for its bronzeware, so much
so that in Classical times 'campanus' came to mean
bronzeware.  It seems at least as plausible that bells were
thus named because they were made from bronze, rather than
that they were originally from Campania.)

> Without certain proof, this seems to be reasonable and to
> fit such known facts that do exist; I would speculate that
> this was possibly during the 5th and 6th centuries when
> church buildings that were being erected began to include
> a tower specifically intended to house large bells.

I can't claim to know much about Italy at this time, but it
seems to me that the poltical and ecclesiastical changes
resulting from the Gothic Wars of the mid 6th century may be
relevant.  I know of no evidence, even circumstantial, for
tower bells in Ostrogothic times.  The earliest I know of
appears in the entry on Pope Stephen II (752-757) in Liber
Pontificalis which records that Stephen built a belfry at St
Peter's, Rome, and furnished it with three bells.  From what
I've read it appears to be believe that this entry in Liber
Pontificalis was written more-or-less contemporaneously.

> there is also a tradition that Pope Sabinian (604-606) may
> have been the first to sanction the ringing of bells at
> the canonical hours and during the celebration of the
> Eucharist.

Wikipedia claims (on its article on Sabinian) that this
tradition cannot be traced earlier than the 13th century.  I
have not tried to verify this myself.

RAS