[Bell Historians] olympics

Roderic Bickerton rodbic at fVAEJG92nrziZon5885muSBPvd5sSJsS7EoQwWD7UUF2XwoJwkbVmRko2IqhV1r2dyNRFWTU1HK__A.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 9 14:00:55 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dickon Love" <dickon at 3JwnJ-_wRSRE0DTOXSTTKb8n8HY89wCnPymzCo4IcANVkLwv5e2w4evq9bsx7DscqVS4oNjy7RpN9jwZlw.yahoo.invalid>
To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:14 PM
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] olympics

ADH:
>  Im slightly surprised no one has speculated
> what the bell might
>  sound like.

What do you think Andrew? Perhaps we should have
a sweepstake on the nominal pitch - not that it
will be the most obvious of the partials.

Of course, the overall sound also depends on
whether it is struck dead, or hung for some sort
of swinging.

Finally, if I am allowed to speculate, I'd
suggest that the bell would sound much better if
it were inside some sort of box or belfry.  It
won't looks as impressive, but it would provide
a decent resonating chamber.  The same thought
has occurred to me about the Royal Jubilee
Bells - I bet there will be a noticable
difference in the sound between the river
installation and the Garlickhythe one.

DrL

Absolutely right it needs to be over a resonant
length like a xylophone bar to boost the lowest
frequency to compensate for the diurnal curve
falling off, (loss of sensitivity of the ear at
low frequency) or in English, to give it bass
boost, otherwise it will sound gutless.