[Bell Historians] Thurlbear

Richard Smith richard at SHpbMXXTuLFJiN-xXAUeEBx2ukcBZhqVOlhez-IfJIMaL-HukOyzPvzWRSOv2OnIsOKjE_wIpXCLVtKecjFy.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 23 14:56:02 GMT 2012

Mike Chester wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that Thurlbear are the oldest ring
> of 4 and, if so, does this make them the oldest complete
> ring by one founder, or even oldest ring of all?

I believe there are six 15th century fours: Fawsley,
Northants; St Botolph's, Cambridge; Northleigh, Devon; the
back four at Banham, Norfolk; Spetchley, Worcs; and
Thurlbear, Som.  St Lawrence, Ipswich is the sole 15th
century five.

Based solely on what is in Dove, it would appear that there
is too much uncertainty over dates to state unambiguously
which is the oldest.

RAS