[Bell Historians] Close But Different

Ted Steele ted.steele at zTQyBHgtlLtVwnT02vPS2ex4x4Y878lPwEtMvOQAKSgxnQRnwisU66csGWS0fWJQYEdJF4FkAXXHMBwM.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 27 16:47:03 BST 2012

On 27/06/2012 15:47, Mike Chester wrote:

> ....... Mancetter and Witherley are not only in different counties,
> but also in different dioceses. The driving route here is 1.5 miles,
> but they are much closer as the crow flies.
>
> Are there closer examples? Perhaps there are two churches proudly
> standing opposite each other across a river that is a border?

Streatley, Berks. and Goring, Oxon come readily to mind. about 1/3 mile
by road, rather less by crow, but they are in the same diocese. I guess
that there will be several cases that fulfil that requirement too, but I
am not really sure what point you were making. There are cases of two
churches in the same churchyard; e.g Willingale Spain and Willingale
Doe, although unsurprising both are in the same county; Essex.

Ted