Close But Different

James White jw_home at hmMAsha9x5OSgXIJTzKvQ69elNxKVLGZh88hY4XrZdDY5fMOMS0LofYrzi_ZOBVfzhRa-Y7ytHAldU_R1A.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 29 10:34:44 BST 2012

> There is no county of Middlesex in Dove. All quarters published under this name are adjusted in my records accordingly including areas surrounding Gtr London and for other parts of the country. Both Newmarket towers are in Suffolk.

Just because Dove gets it wrong it doesn't mean everyone else has to although I admit that consistency between various records is good: what happens for records back when Middlesex was recognised?  Consistency in time would be more useful, I suggest.

As to Staines, Ashford and some other towers being in Surrey, this is just wrong.  They are in (the district of) Spelthorne, a "hundred" of Middlesex.  That Surrey County Council has some responsibility for services in the area is not relevant.

Notwithstanding that, Fulham and Putney are in different "counties" by any definition, and different Dioceses.  They are about a quarter of a mile (or less) apart at either end of Putney Bridge.

James White