[Bell Historians] Interpretation of iij prche belles

John Harrison john at 430H6S0hjQRxzKMNn_lKdX_-5Xn-Y8Oh_ekrb990UkpwrBq2hFrZr7z-oJjTGGFZgKxP1086RqJFzUl-B7cb.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 7 15:35:00 GMT 2012

> Can anyone please translate the phrase ' iij prche belles' which appears
> in a report of Edward VI's commissioners about Brigham Church in 1552 -
> in particular, why 'iij' and what does 'prche' mean?

I consulted my wife (currently doing MA in Mediaeval Archaeology) ...

iij - That means 3.  It was common to write the final i as a j.

prche - Is there a line through the descender of the p?  That was a
standard abbreviation to represent a following 'er', 'ar' or 'or'.

Does that get you any nearer?

Regards

--
John Harrison