Toe loops

Dennis Powney dennis.powney at EbMBh6pCqtnV-IY_FGjQFSlVvPBAE0roNUKw0Rks8PSM3O2y6xNVjTY7oAQSl-TGuTG4i5qutMleJ0fmMjIiH7B9Yk8.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 9 20:11:51 BST 2012

Toe loops were present at Bromham Wilts, 6 bells, until we removed them
prior to laying a carpet about 30 years ago. I was told by 'Bert Hughes
c.1885 -c.1960 that in bygone years the ringers frequently chimed the bells
for services and that the toe loops were used for that purpose. Perhaps if
the band was short of six competent ringers then non ringers could be
co-opted and quickly shown how to chime, so ensuring that all six bells
sounded each Sunday? Thinking about it this may have been a good way of
attracting ringing recruits from the congregation! I did not realise that
the toe loops may have been rather unique or I would not have disposed of
them. From my memory the metal parts that secured the leather strap to the
wooden floor looked as though made by the village blacksmith.  The floor
below each strap was quite worn away showing that many shoes, and hob-nailed
boots, had slid into them over the years.

Dennis Powney.